Celtics President Says He Doesn't Expect Much of a Step Back This Season
Aug 20, 2025
While speaking with reporters recently, Celtics President Rich Gotham said that he's expecting the team to be competitive this year despite injuries and trades.
Excellence has long been the standard for the Boston Celtics, as the team has the most championship wins of any NBA franchise. And they were a strong team again last year, finishing second in the Eastern Conference before losing to the New York Knicks in the second round.
Things will be much different in 2025-26, however. The team will be without megastar Jayson Tatum, likely out for the year due to an Achilles injury.
The team will also be without Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holliday. Boston made the choice to reduce their payroll and tax burden by trading away the two excellent, but highly paid players.
The bench will also be shorter for the Celtics this year. Center Luke Kornet, who provided shot blocking and a decent jump shot signed with San Antonio. Al Horford, a rock in the middle despite being older now, will likely sign elsewhere as well.
Gotham was asked about the team's changes and how they could impact the next year. He told reporters:
"You’re going to see a team out there working as hard as possible. I don’t think it’s inconceivable that we will be a good team, a good winning team, next year. I’m not sure it’s gonna be the step down that people anticipate."
While they have lost some serious talent, the Celtics will still have Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Anfernee Simons and Payton Pritchard. That might be enough to get them into the playoffs.
Recommended for You

Aug 28, 2025

Aug 28, 2025